The DL
My father sent me an article from the Wall Street Journal about a new meter from Telecare that sounds very exciting to me and is launching next week.



After reading the article, here are what I believe to be some pros and cons.

Pros
I like the idea of having my numbers instantly transmitted to a data base base online that can be accessed with a password or an iPhone app. I think it would make things much easier to address current problems vs when you actually get to the doctor weeks later. This technology also allows the doctor to respond to your readings, which is very cool.


I agree with this author in that with real-time sharing, people with diabetes will be held more accountable for skipped readings and I think it will bring better numbers overall.

I love the idea of a large color screen! I hate when I'm in dark places, i.e. in a movie or in bed and I have to balance my cell phone as a flash light.


Cons

It's expensive! When most meters are free these days, this one will cost you!
"The Telcare meter costs $150 for a starter kit that includes the meter, a wall charger, a case and accessories. The cost drops to $100 if you subscribe to a one-year supply of test strips. The strips cost $56 for a container of 50, or $36 with the subscription. Insurance may reduce these costs.
"

I would never have thought about this, but BATTERY LIFE. I change my meters battery maybe once every few months, this meter needs to be plugged in, much like a cellphone.
"The company says if you turn it off between readings, a battery charge should last for 200 to 300 tests. If you leave it on, it will go to sleep between tests and need to be recharged every two or three days. In my tests, doing three readings a day for four days, I didn't need to recharge it, but I turned it off when not in use."

It is larger than most other meters out there, which I don't love since I already hate carrying a bunch of supplies around town with me.

And on a last final annoying note, the meters and strips, are only available from the company, though they hope to sell in drugstores soon. I hate to admit this, but sometimes I forget to order supplies in a timely manner, and I can't image waiting for shipping vs the 15 minutes at CVS.


NOW THE REAL QUESTION

It seems that I listed more cons than pros, but still I am very interested in this meter. I think the real time transmitter and screen sound exciting enough to me to give it a try.

What are your thoughts??
3 Responses
  1. Diabetes311 Says:

    Oh how timely! I have been curious about this... thanks for such an informative post!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Ρrettу nice post. I just stumbled upon
    your weblοg and wаnteԁ to ѕay that I have truly enjοyed surfіng around your
    blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    My web-site: hot stone massage kits
    My web page :: reiki therapist


  3. Anonymous Says:

    This meter sucks! Don't bother wasting your money. I'm thankful that I currently don't pay for the strips, but even after getting another with updated firmware, it's a little bit better, but still sucks. I'd never waste my money on a terrible product. Why pay for something you can get for FREE from somewhere else.


Post a Comment