The DL
I know there are some crazy people in the world, but REALLY? WHY would a hacker want to hack into my pump?? I promise there is nothing worth stealing in there and if you ask I would just tell you...





You can click on the title to read the whole article, but here it is.


HACKERS COULD TARGET MEDICAL DEVICES


HACKERS COULD TARGET medical devices such as insulin pumps for the diabetic, as security flaws have been discovered by a diabetic security researcher.

Security problems highlighted by Jay Radcliffe mean that attackers could alter the read outs of insulin pumps remotely, so diabetics could get too little or not enough insulin.

Radcliffe shared the findings of his experiment with the Associated Press ahead of his presentation at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas today.

He told the AP, "My initial reaction was that this was really cool from a technical perspective. The second reaction was one of maybe sheer terror, to know that there's no security around the devices which are a very active part of keeping me alive."

Other devices at risk include pacemakers and operating room monitors, some of which can be remotely controlled by medical staff.

He added, "Everybody's pushing the technology to do more and more and more, and like any technology that's pushed like that, security is an afterthought."

Not surprisingly, those who make the devices say that as experiments are only undertaken by expert security researchers, they are unlikely to be replicated in a real life scenario. It seems these companies are thinking more about profits than they are about patients' well being, as usual.

And they could well be wrong. Radcliffe found his insulin pump could be reprogrammed to respond to a stranger's remote and all he needed was a USB device.

He looked at data being transmitted from the computer with the USB device to the insulin pump, and could then instruct the USB device to tell the pump what to do - a very scary thought indeed.

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2099502/hackers-target-medical-devices#ixzz1U5hYqm1O
The Inquirer - Computer hardware news and downloads. Visit the download store today.

Maybe this technology could be used for good? Perhaps doctor visits could be spaced out farther? Doctors and patients could work from home? Adjusting on the fly? Maybe if you're on vacation? Overall though, still a scary thought.

~~~~~

TOTALLY different topic~~~~~~~~~~~~





Is seeking therapy part of your diabetes care? If so, do you like it? How old were you when you started? How did you find them?

I'd appreciate any info! I am thinking it would be a good idea to incorporate this into my care, but just wanted to see if anyone else found it helpful or not!

THANK YOU!!!
8 Responses
  1. Colleen Says:

    Sara at Moments of Wonderful wrote about therapy this week. It's a good post.


  2. Meagan Says:

    The hacker story is so scary! I'm still on injections, but I hope all the security issues get worked out quickly.

    As far as therapy goes, I've never had it, but wouldn't you know it, my husband told me not 20min ago that I NEED therapy. :) Honestly, think it might be good for anyone, I'm very interested in going.


  3. Holly Says:

    THAT is scary! Especially if they had it in for someone! : /
    My daughter (T1D) doesn't see anyone, but my son (non-D) does. It certainly helps him (and me help him)! I think it'd help me deal with it better, so of course it'd help you! : )


  4. Kate Cornell Says:

    Lauren, I recommend therapy if you're feeling the need. The only time I've sought help was during my first marriage. It certainly helps to talk with someone. I hope, if you do this, you'll be able to find a therapist who understands D. Good luck.


  5. k2 Says:

    Great post! And as far as therapy & diabetes management - It really helps you with your diabetes, and life in general!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    My nutritionist/CDE is basically like my therapist. She's talked me through a lot of food issues, and I am very grateful I found her (though not grateful I have to pay out of pocket to see her!!)


  7. Racheal Says:

    Since my daughter has T1D I thought it would be good for me to get some blood work done. Well along with that my dr said to see a Diabetes Counselor, do Therapy & go to Support groups. Wow all that, he must know how hard Diabetes management is. lol


  8. Unknown Says:

    I am thinking it would be a Medical Device Company good idea to incorporate this into my care,


Post a Comment